Sunday, March 3, 2013

Saturday's Full of Friends, Fun, and Pancakes

Tonight was full...

...

So… this happened.  Zach decided he was going to be a guest contributor to my blog – and promptly got bored after less than half a sentence.  This is what happens post-Sound CrossFit social events when Coach Jess makes pitchers of paleo margaritas.  Let me just summarize Jess’s version of a paleo margarita:

Tequila
More tequila
A splash more tequila
A squeeze of lime
Triple sec
Maybe a little more tequila – just in case there wasn’t enough before

Let’s just say that I didn’t make my 9 am WOD this morning. 

This weekend was fantastic.  My best friend, Kim, was here from Dallas.   She’s up here a lot for work but I haven’t seen her since her wedding in December – so it was fantastic to have a girl’s night.  She’s been hearing me talk about paleo food for months – so we made some for dinner.  I made Lemon Artichoke Pesto with spaghetti squash and it was delish.  Here’s Kim enjoying her paleo dinner:


We made a side of sweet potatoes – roasted with coconut oil and oregano.  My favorite.  So simple and amazing.

Super Simple Sweet Potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes – diced
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
Oregano

I always put my potatoes on parchment paper in a pan – it saves some clean up time.  Then I drizzle the coconut oil over the top – sprinkle oregano on – cook at 425 for 30 minutes (stirring them around about every 10) and BAM – delicious sweet potatoes.  Sometimes I have to cook them for a bit longer to get them soft – I love mine super tender.  I think it makes them almost a smidgen caramelized.  Yummm…

Okay… so I have a date with a guy next week who had sweet potato fries for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  WHAT?!?!?!  I’m not 100% that I can date someone who doesn’t have a firm appreciation of the sweet potato.  I already informed him that we were going to have to work on expanding his sweet potato horizons. 

On Saturday, Kim and I hung out in the morning and made paleo breakfast - bacon, eggs, left over super simple sweet potatoes and an avocado.  And mimosas.  Duh.  

Then I drug her to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for this: 


This is red wine chocolate cake or 'torta vino alla rosso'.  Yum.  It was AMAZING.  I will be making this again.  This was my contribution to the non-paleo portion of the paleo BBQ, because not a single thing in this cake was paleo.  It's covered with red wine drenched raspberries and vanilla bean whipped cream.  Amaze balls.  Just sayin'. 

Then we go back to the top... ended up at the paleo BBQ, then drinking beer at my house and watching the CrossFit Open 13.0 video - AKA - AMCAP (as many cakes as possible).  Yes.  There is a reason for the chocolate pancake picture.  

All in all - a weekend filled with friends, fun and... pancakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment