This time of year can be incredibly stressful for some people - myself included (hence the 2pm glass of wine). I think it's very easy for people to review the last year and start to panic about all the things left undone, messed up, or not yet started. It's even easier when you start to add massive amounts of family time into that and all the inevitable questions that come from great aunt Shirley, like - why aren't you married? how is your job? why can't you deadlift 300 pounds yet? yada, yada, yada. (For the record, I don't have a great Aunt Shirley - but I do picture the voice in my head sometimes. And if I did have a great Aunt Shirley - she'd probably not ask me about my deadlift.)
So... instead of thinking of the unfinished, questionable, and bad things from 2013 - I've decided to take a minute to review what went well. So... here are some of the highlights of 2013:
- Started the year with friends in Tahoe. Fabulous trip. Got back to Seattle just in time to do my first CrossFit competition. Didn't do well but had an awesome time. Also, didn't die. Victory!
- Became a CrossFit coach. Scary but fabulous. So glad I did it.
- Ran Tough Mudder Whistler. Okay... by ran, I really mean ran/walked/complained for 13 miles. But didn't die. Victory! (And now that I've forgotten how badly it hurt, I would totally do it again.)
- Bought a house and rescued a dog. Pretty much turned my life upside down.
- Competed in my first solo CrossFit competition (Bacon Beatdown). Didn't do bad. Didn't do well. But didn't die. Came in right in the middle. Victory!
- Competed in my third CrossFit competition with a team of friends - did well! Didn't win. Didn't even feel close to dying. Victory!
- Left my job. Am taking early retirement. (Just kidding. I'm totally looking for another job.)