Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Funday: Food Edition

I'll admit, typically Sunday Funday involves pitchers of mimosas and not spending hours in the kitchen cooking.  But there is just something so satisfying about getting some cooking done in advance so that I don't have to stress about it later on this week.  I have about a million things going on this week and just having dinner in the fridge seems like it will eliminate a layer of stress. 

I've have had a SUPER productive day in the kitchen.   

First off:  I got out of bed and successfully made myself bacon and eggs.  BEFORE having coffee.  That's an accomplishment in and of itself.  

Then, I made my favorite Zucchini Apple Spice Muffins.  See post here. And they turned out better than they have ever been before.  That's probably because I read the recipe again and realized that I needed baking POWDER, not baking SODA.  If someone could explain the difference to me - that would be wonderful.  But... it turns out that there is a difference and it dramatically improves an already delicious thing. Total win-win.  

Then, I hard boiled eggs.  Okay... this isn't really cooking.  That's fair.  But I did it. In the kitchen.  So I'm going to write about it.  

Then, I made kale chips.  Kale chips are delicious and I don't even like kale.  But kale chips?  Sold.  I coat them with olive oil and cook them on super low (250 degrees) for like 25 minutes - or until they are all crispy.  Today took a little bit longer because I made an obscene amount of them.  Then I top them with just a sprinkle of truffle salt (which really makes everything taste better - I mean, absolutely EVERYTHING). 

Then, I took a break to get my hair done.  Hello brunette!!! 

THEN, I made what may be my new favorite dish and I have no idea what to call it. But it gave me a fantastic reason to use my dutch oven, which is my favorite pot (yes... I have a favorite pot.  I also have a favorite appliance - my KitchenAid - and a favorite tiny appliance - my immersion blender). 

1 large peeled sweet potato
3 small red potatoes
1 large yellow onion
2 carrots
3 stalks of celery
1 turkey kielbasa
8 oz chicken broth
3 cloves garlic
2 sprigs rosemary
Oregano
Salt/Pepper

I chopped the potatoes, onion, celery and carrots into large pieces.  I cut the kielbasa into four large pieces.  Chopped the garlic and rosemary into tiny bits - others may call this 'finely chop', but they would be fancy folks - I am not fancy.  I added all this to the dutch oven, poured the chicken broth over and topped with dried oregano, salt and pepper.  I put it in the oven at 380 degrees for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft when you stick a fork in them. So freaking easy.

Totally delicious and now I have dinner for the week.  So easy to heat up and enjoy between running around like a crazy person.  And it's healthy AND paleo (at least I think kielbasa is paleo - hmmm...). Huge thank you to Tara (and David) for sharing this delicious recipe with me.  

Before shot:  I love colorful food. 
After shot:  Total delicious.  Can you tell from the pic?
And my kitchen doesn't look like a disaster.  I'm just going to call today how it is - total freaking win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment