Sunday, August 4, 2013

I Bought A Ladder??

I bought a ladder.  Seriously.  This is what my life has come to.  I'm not going to lie, I shop A LOT.  But one of the things that I NEVER thought I would buy?  A ladder.  I guess I just assumed that I would have a man in my life who would do that for me - a significant other, my dad, whomever.  I don't mean to sound completely un-'Female Empowerment', but really, Home Depot has never been my happy place.  Target?  Yes.  Nordstrom?  Yes.  Home Depot?  No.  I've always been perfectly fine letting the men in my life take care of my home improvement needs - it's not that I think women can't do it, it's just more that I've acknowledged my lack of skills in this particular area of life.  

Well.  I currently find myself single.  And buying a house.  And my dad lives 500+ miles away.  What does this mean?  I went to Home Depot.  By myself.  With a shopping list.  And I asked four different employees for help.  And I got every damn thing on my list. Feeling like a total competent adult??  Hell yes.  

This is what $214 looks like at Home Depot: 

I bought a ladder.  A wise man told me recently that if I need a tool once, I will need it again so I should buy it.  Good but expensive advice.  I'm now the proud owner of a 6' fiberglass ladder.  My dad was proud of me for buying a good one.  Yay me!
My entire new house was painted a lovely shade of tan.  I decided that at least one room of the house needed to be different.  So I picked a new color for my master bedroom.  I've always wanted to do a really bold color accent wall - so this is my chance.  Here are my HGTV before and after pics: 
Lovely brown.
Pip and atruzite.  Thank you Martha Stewart. The cream makes the room a million times brighter.  I love it.
I love the new shade.  I've been lusting over a white or grey tufted headboard for years now, It will look fantastic against the wall and I have the perfect black and white prints with red highlights that I can't wait to hang.  Just call me Martha Stewart.  

Something that I wish someone would have told me about buying a house?  That I'd want to spend AT LEAST $10K on new furniture that fits exclusively into my new house.  Seriously.  I didn't plan wisely enough.  

I'm not going to lie, I feel pretty damn good about getting this project done and practically by myself.  I know it's just paint... but... it's paint!  And I did it myself!  In a house that I bought myself.  Hells yes.  It's terrifying and exciting and empowering and horrifying all at the same time.  Holy crap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment